What life lessons have you learned from this recession? How has your faith kept you pressing, believing, surviving, stretching, giving, going and standing in spite of it all? Here are a few of my lessons…
1. I’ve seen how God has been faithful even when I wasn’t.
2. I truly grasp now the idea of “God’s grace”.
3. We learned to communicate more with each other. When you have more than enough… you become too independent. When finances change, you learn to be more interdependent and less independent.
4. I love to shop but I learned to wear what I already have in my closets.
5. I have learned to trust the Lord like never before. Downsizing is teaching all of us to be smart with your dollars so I had to have courage and trust in the Lord to lower some of my products and services so people could benefit from the knowledge.
6. This economy will sensitize you to the needs of others. Everyone around us is fighting some type of battle. There are so many opportunities to show compassion, patience and prayers for others who have much less than me.
7. I understand more and more how to be thankful for everything. I realize how important it is not to take my life, home, health, marriage, family, my experiences and blessings for granted. Everyday my heart is full of gratitude and peace in spite of my circumstances. Everything and everyone is temporal. Count your blessings everyday. Let your loved ones know you love (show them, tell them).
8. I see more acts of kindness. I see more people around me bartering, connecting, helping each other to find jobs, helping students in college, helping single parents, sharing their homes, carpooling to save gas, etc. People are seeing the need to swallow their pride, ask for help and to help others in need. After losing their jobs, I see people finding joy because they are using their gifts, talents and skills to generate income and serve their community.
9. The word Habakkuk in the Bible means “hug”. When you read Habakkuk 3:17-19 you will receive a hug from the Lord. God is our Comforter, Redeemer, Provider and Strong Tower.
10. I see how critical it is to my emotional and spiritual well-being not to engage in negative, fear-based, gossipy, criticizing, limiting, bitter, complaining or small thinking conversations with people. I limit my time of watching too much news. The constant stream of negative and fear based news will weaken your faith and feed your fears.
11. I’ve learned how important it is to guard your heart and your health against the shifts, shaking and storms of life. I cannot control everything and everyone, but I can control my anger, frustration, fears and reaction to stress. Good health is wealth. I’ve learned to lighten up more, breathe, get my rest, take vitamin/herbal supplements and let go of stress.
12. I have learned to stand on God’s promises and NOT lean on my own understanding…
“For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. ~ Jeremiah 29:11
“And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.” ~ Philippians 4:19
“I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.” John 14:27
“You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.” ~ Isaiah 26:3
“Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you.” ~ Deuteronomy 31:6
“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble “. ~ Psalm 46:1
“Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they? “And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life? “And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin,yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these. “But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith!“Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?’ “For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. “So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” Matthew 26-34
13. I have learned not to procrastinate or isolate when life becomes challenging. When my faith is tested, I’ve learned not to just pray with my hands and heart, but with my feet…take action, follow God’s guidance and get up each day so the enemy can say…”DARN, she’s up again!” My income has been downsized. My son’s car was stolen. The bills keep coming. Many of my loved ones are “going through”. I’ve had speaking engagements cancelled. My blood pressure tries to steal my joy. I will NOT give up or have a pity party. I”M STILL BLESSED. I”M GRATEFUL. I’M RESILIENT. I’M CREATIVE. I LOVE THE LORD! I BOUNCE BACK EVERY TIME. I’M EXCITED ABOUT THE POSSIBILITIES AND PROMISES GOD HAS FOR ME! I AM DIVINELY CONNECTED TO THE INFINITE SUPPLY OF GOD’s STOREHOUSE. I DON’T LEAN ON MY OWN POWER OR UNDERSTANDING. I PRESS. I know how to SHOUT in a DROUGHT. I BELIEVE GOD CAN DO A NEW THING! I PRAISE GOD! I BELIEVE. I REMAIN ACTIVE AND PROACTIVE. I AM OPTIMISTIC! I AM LOCKED AND LOADED WITH GOD’S WORD AS MY ARMOR AGAINST ANY ATTACKS OR LACK. I AM BLESSED. I AM VICTORIOUS. My spiritual warfare keeps me from falling and being a victim of recession, depression or rejection when I don’t get the outcome I want. God’s grace is sufficient and I have learned to be resilient because the bad news is…Things are going to change. The good news is…Things are going to change. Hallelujah! (This message is an excerpt from the CD “Get Your Life Back” by Jewel Diamond Taylor click here for your copy.
Leave a Reply