- “Dreams are lovely. But they are just dreams. Fleeting, ephemeral, pretty. But dreams do not come true just because you dream them. It’s hard work that makes things happen. It’s hard work that creates change.” – Shonda Rimes
- “Any time women come together with a collective intention, it’s a powerful thing. Whether it’s sitting down making a quilt, in a kitchen preparing a meal, in a club reading the same book, or around the table playing cards, or planning a birthday party, when women come together with a collective intention, magic happens.” – Phylicia Rashad
- “The minute you start caring about what other people think, is the minute you stop being yourself. You have to embrace getting older. Life is precious and when you have lost a lot of people, you realize that each day is a gift.” – Meryl Streep
- “One of the lessons that I grew up with was to always stay true to yourself and never let what somebody else says distract you from your goals. And so when I hear about negative and false attacks, I really don’t invest any energy in them, because I know who I am.” – Michelle Obama
- “Whenever I feel bad, I use that feeling to motivate me to work harder. I only allow myself one day to feel sorry for myself. When I’m not feeling my best I ask myself, ‘What are you gonna do about it?’ I use the negativity to fuel the transformation into a better me.” – Beyoncé
- “Sometimes you have to let everything go – purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything – whatever is bringing you down – get rid of it. Because you will find that when you are free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.” — Tina Turner
- “War is not a computer-generated missile striking a digital map. War is the color of earth as it explodes in our faces, the sound of child pleading, the smell of smoke and fear. Women survivors of war are not the single image portrayed on the television screen, but the glue that holds families and countries together. Perhaps by understanding women, and the other side of war … we will have more humility in our discussions of wars… perhaps it is time to listen to women’s side of history. Everything can be taken from you in a second, but the human spirit is so strong. War can teach you so much about evil and so much about good.” – Humanitarian Zainab Salbi
- “Surround yourself with only people who are going to lift you higher.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “I believe that the privilege of a lifetime is being who you are, truly being who you are. And I’ve spent far too long apologizing for that—my age, my color, my lack of classical beauty—that now at the age of, well, at the age of 46, I’m very proud to be Viola Davis, for whatever it’s worth.” —during her speech accepting the 2012 Crystal Award for Excellence in Film
- “Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew. They’re what make the instrument stretch, what make you go beyond the norm.Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew. They’re what make the instrument stretch, what make you go beyond the norm.” – Cicely Tyson
- “I’m a parent, and I try to take care of my health and keep my life in order. In the last few years I’ve really had to decide what’s important to me, and it seems to me that my family and my health are top on the list. And those have nothing to do with show business.” – Diana Ross
- “Shift happens in life. Develop your faith, courage, connections and resiliency to bounce back like a palm tree…bend… but don’t break.” ~ Jewel Diamond Taylor
Sadly, I admit I have lost money, time, opportunities, sleep and peace of mind from the terrible habit of avoiding important tasks. I am not totally recovered. However, gladly, I have seen so much progress and gained some self-respect, effectiveness, progress and peace of mind because of these following practices I put into place to break old habits.
To increase my daily success of achieving my tasks. I have to psyche myself out because I know the words, habits and thoughts in my head that block and sabotage my progress which causes me to avoid tasks and eventually pay the consequences. So instead of having a “to do” list…I have a “things to finish” list. When I hear “to do” it sounds to wide open and vague. “Things to finish” is my kick in the behind to not only do something…but finish my task. I have learned that my self-talk changes how I do things. Since I read my emails daily…all day…I send myself an email with the subject line “To finish“.